The vase is composed of two parts. The upper part is of shaped oval cross section and tapers from a flared, undulating rim to a much narrower base pierced with holes that fits into a shaped oval stand. The stand rests on four feet and has four cartouche-shaped openings in the shoulder. The vase...
The vase is composed of two parts. The upper part is of shaped oval cross section and tapers from a flared, undulating rim to a much narrower base pierced with holes that fits into a shaped oval stand. The stand rests on four feet and has four cartouche-shaped openings in the shoulder. The vase is decorated with a pink (rose) ground over which blue enamel has been applied and then scraped away to create a pattern of C-and S-scrolls and asymmetrical cartouches. Gold dots throughout the ground enhance the swirling effect of the patterns. The central reserve of the vase proper is painted with a couple seated outside a stone building with a thatched roof; the two narrower reserves on the upper part and the three reserves of the stand are painted with landscapes that include various stone buildings and a windmill. Each of the reserves is framed by simply tooled and burnished gilt bands, and double gilt bands decorate the rims of the upper part and of the stand. This vase is the third size of a vase hollandois nouveau ovale.
Incised ae on base of both vase and stand.
Until 1928, Charles Robert Wynn-Carrington, 1st Marquess of Lincolnshire (b. 1843 - d. 1928), London and Daws Hill, High Wycombe; December 5, 1928, posthumous Marquess of Lincolnshire sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 46, to L. Davis [see note 1]. 1929, Jacques Seligmann et fils, Paris; Arnold Seligmann et Cie., Paris [see note 2]; probably sold by Seligmann to Henry Walters (b. 1848 - d. 1931), New York and Baltimore; May 3, 1941, Sarah Green (Mrs. Henry) Walters sale, Parke Bernet, New York, lot 1366, to Forsyth Wickes (b. 1876 - d. 1964), New York and Newport, RI; 1965, bequest of Forsyth Wickes to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 24, 1965) NOTES:  The buyer's name is recorded in a handwritten annotation in the auction catalogue.  MM. J. Séligmann et fils lent the vase to the exhibition "La Porcelaine Française de 1673 à 1914" (Pavillon de Marsan, Palais du Louvre, Paris, November - December, 1929), cat. no. 1940 bis. According to the 1941 auction catalogue ("The Mrs. Henry Walters Art Collection. Volume Two," Parke-Bernet, New York, April 30 - May 3, 1941, p. 461, lot 1366), it had belonged to Arnold Seligmann, Paris. Arnold was Jacques Seligmann's brother; he worked with him until establishing his own firm in Paris in 1912. Henry Walters purchased extensively from the Paris and New York branches of the Seligmann galleries.
Bequest of Forsyth Wickes—The Forsyth Wickes Collection
vase hollandois nouveau ovale
- Made at Sèvres Manufactory, France
22.3 x 17 x 14.2 cm (8 3/4 x 6 11/16 x 5 9/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Soft-paste porcelain decorated in polychrome enamels and gold