A teapot in the form of ancient oil lamp, on spreading circular foot with part ivory scroll handle with bifurcated serpent and stylized demi-swan terminals, the curved spout chased with acanthus and anthemion, the hinged domed cover with fluted part-ivory finial.
Stamped on base: "RUNDELL BRIDGE ET RUNDELL AURIFCES REGIS ET PRINCIPIS WALLIAE LONDINI FECERUNT". Engraved with arms of Richard, 1st Earl Howe (1796-1870), probably added upon the creation of the title in 1821.
Maker's mark of Paul Storr
Probably by 1821, Richard William Penn Curzon-Howe (b. 1796 - d. 1870), 1st Earl Howe, Gopsall, Leicester, England [see note 1]; by descent within the family to his great-grandson, Francis Richard Henry Penn Curzon (b. 1884 - d. 1964), 5th Earl Howe; July 1, 1953, Earl Howe sale, Christie's, London, lot 139, to N. Bloom and Son, London and New York, for £1,450. July 5, 2000, anonymous sale, Christie's, London, lot 6, to Alan and Simone Hartman, New York. 2005, Koopman Rare Art, London; 2005, sold by Koopman to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 21, 2005) NOTES:  The arms engraved on the pieces from this Breakfast Service (MFA accession nos. 2005.532.1 - 2005.532.11) are those of Penn, for the 1st Earl Howe. It is not known when he acquired the set, but the arms were probably added around 1821 when his title was created.
Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously and from the Mary S. and Edward Jackson Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, and Russell B. and Andrée Beauchamp Stearns Fund and by exchange from the Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour, Anonymous gifts in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour (1833-1914), and Bequest of Frank Brewer Bemis