Quilt with polychrome zig-zigs alternating with black diamonds, outer border of mint green, with band of pieces printed and plain fabrics; central field quilted with square lattice, outer border quilted with parallel diagonal lines. Backed with undyed cotton plain weave muslin.
By 1983, with Joseph B. Sarah, Indiana; 1993, with Gerald Roy; 2011, sold by Roy to the MFA (Accession date: March 23, 2011)
Museum purchase with funds donated by Hanne and Jeremy Grantham, Jane and Robert Burke, an anonymous donor, Jane Pappalardo, Lynne and Mark Rickabaugh, Carol Wall, Heidi Nitze, Ruth Oliver Jolliffe, and Mrs. Robert B. Newman, and funds by exchange from anonymous gifts, a Bequest of Miss Ellen Starkey Bates, William Sturgis Bigelow Collection, Gift of the Estate of Annie B. Coolidge, Gift of Mrs. John Dane, Gift of Louis H. Farlow, Alfred Greenough Collection, Gift of M. M. Greer, Gift of Mrs. Chester A. Hoefer, James Fund, Gift of Dr. and Mrs. Harold Karlin, Gift of Miss Mildred Kennedy, Gift of Francis Stewart Kershaw, Gift of Mrs. Bliss Knapp, Gift of Mathias Komor, The Elizabeth Day McCormick Collection, Gift of Miss Louise M. Nathurst, Gift of Mrs. George N. Northrop, and Gift of Mrs. Albertine W. F. Valentine, residuary legatee under the will of Hervey E. Wetzel
American, Amish, about 1930
Nappanee, Indiana, United States
Height x width: 212.7 x 179.7 cm (83 3/4 x 70 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Pieced cotton plain weave, twill and novelty weaves top, undyed cotton plain weave back, cotton plain weave binding; quilted