Found in a London residence originally owned by John Jackson, nephew and heir to Samuel Pepys; purchased in 1913 by British collector H. Oatway (possibly purchased from someone other than Jackson); purchased at the sale of Oatway's estate by A. A. Collins, Greenwich, Connecticut, 1915; from whom purchased by Jefferson Templeman Coolidge, 1926/27; lent to the museum by Coolidge, 27 February 1929; given by Coolidge to the museum, 21 July 1932. Transferred to the Department of Prints, Drawings and Photographs, 1 May 1980.
Gift of John Templeman Coolidge
- Attributed to Peter Pett, English, 1610–1672
- Formerly attributed to Anthony van Dyck, Flemish, 1599–1641
Framed: 58.4 x 178.1 x 5.1 cm (23 x 70 1/8 x 2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Pen and ink with tempera on vellum, mounted on board