upper center: SATVRNVS.; dated on column bases, lower left: Anno.; lower right: 1592.; in lower margin: Octo gentium Dij per Polydorum quondàm quodam in atrio Romæ e Cenobÿ Diui/Pauli regione: in colle Quirinali, nunc M. Cauallo ad parietem et lucidè et subumbrosè deliniati,/ per HGoltzius ibidem adnotati, et celati postmodum in Tyronum gratiam. [These eight heathen gods were painted by Polidoro on a courtyard wall in the quarter of St. Paul's Convent, on the Quirinal at Rome, now called Monte Cavallo. They are distinguished by the excellence of their clair-obscur effect. H. Goltzius has sketched them on location and now engraved them for the use of his students."
in lower margin, within inscription [see inscription transcription]
watermark: square and star [in a circle?]
Henry F. Sewell (1816-1896, New York); November, 1897, Sewell collection purchased for the MFA by Harvey D. Parker.
Harvey D. Parker Collection