[Paris:] Martin Fabiani Editeur, 1944
Signed in pen and ink by Matisse on the justification page
Succession H. Matisse, Paris; with Ursus Rare Books, New York; from whom purchased by MFA, 26 March 2003.
Museum purchase with funds given by a member of the Museum Council Fellows
© 2011 Succession H. Matisse, Paris / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York.
- Illustrated by Henri Matisse, French, 1869–1954
- Author Henri de Montherlant, French, 1895–1972
- Publisher Martin Fabiani, active in France, mid-20th century
- Printer Marthe Fequet, French, 20th century
- Printer Pierre Baudier, French, 20th century
Place of Publication
Duthuit, p. 51-67; Artist and the Book 198; Castleman, Century of Artists Books, p. 113
Overall: 33.8 x 26.2 x 3.9 cm (13 5/16 x 10 5/16 x 1 9/16 in.) Sheet: 32.5 x 25.3 cm (12 13/16 x 9 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Illustrated book with 148 linocuts printed in red and black