A small cylindrical vessel, seamed vertically at front, with an applied molding above protruding base and below bezel. Cylindrical neck, splayed cover with heavy molding, top domed and plainly pierced. Beaded handle has scroll drop at upper joining, separate little curve at lower.
"W=F" in block letters on bottom; "E. Storer to M.A.S.H." in script on side.
Marked "KL" in rectangle at each side of handle. Lid apparently unmarked.
Probably made originally for an owner with the initials "W.F." as engraved on the bottom; later possibly owned by Ebenezer Storer of Boston and his family; the later inscription "E. Storer to M.A.S.H." may reflect descent from an Ebenezer Storer to a Mattie S. Hatch"; later acquired by a collector, Mrs. Miles White, Jr., , and sold at auction of her collection at American Art Association Anderson Galleries, New York, December 3-5, 1936, lot 440; acquired by the dealer James Graham and Sons, New York, who sold it to W.T. H. Howe; subsequently offered at auction of Howe collection; acquired by the donor and given to the Museum in 2007.
Gift of Joel Larus in honor of Jane Bortman Larus