Peg-shaped body (of circular cross-section) constructed of two hollowed out halves of red cedar (?), bound with strips of split spruce root at center. Distal end open. Ribbon reed of unknown material stretched laterally across mid-point of bore. Lozenge-shaped embouchure hole.
Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Francis W. Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection
Unknown people, 19th century
Northwest Coast region, United States or Canada
Length 7.4 cm, width 3.6 cm, thickness 3.6 cm (Length 2 15/16 in., width 1 7/16 in., thickness 1 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Red cedar, spruce root