Paddle-shaped body constructed of two hollowed out halves of red cedar (?), bound with strips of split spruce root near proximal end and at center. Lozenge-shaped embouchure hole. Widened end forms terminal retreating reed.
Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Francis W. Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection
late 19th century
Washington, DC, United States
Length 20.5 cm, width 2.7 cm, thickness 2.2 cm (Length 8 1/16 in., width 1 1/16 in., thickness 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Red cedar, spruce root