Cylindrical body (of roughly circular cross-section) constructed of two hollowed out halves of red cedar (?), bound with strips of split spruce root near each end and at center. Distal end closed. V-shaped window on each side. Lozenge-shaped embouchure hole. Sounds pitches of f-sharp and g.
Francis W. Galpin (1858-1945), Hatfield Regis, England; 1916, sold by Francis W. Galpin to William Lindsey (1858-1922), Boston, Massachusetts; 1916, gift of William Lindsey, in memory of his daughter, Leslie Lindsey Mason, to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 5, 1916)
Leslie Lindsey Mason Collection
Unknown people, 19th century
Northwest Coast region, United States or Canada
Length 44.5 cm, width 5.3 cm, thickness 6.1 cm (Length 17 1/2 in., width 2 1/16 in., thickness 2 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Red cedar (?), spruce root