Nickel silver. Three string-linkage rotary valves and one valve (missing touchpiece), used to transpose the overall pitch up by one half tone. Original (?) pig-tail crook and music lyre. Non-original straight shank and mouthpiece.
Engraved on bell garland: Gilmore, Graves & Co, Boston
Before 1941, Edward Theodore Morcombe (1872-1941), who owned and played the instrument, Melrose, Massachusetts; by 1975, by descent to his daughter, Pearl E. Squires, Melrose, Massachusetts; 1975, gift of Squires to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 10, 1975)
Gift of Pearl E. Squires in memory of her father, Edward Theodore Morcombe