Shagreen-covered wood case of rectangular form, the cover applied with a silver plaque engraved with an inscription.
The engraving under the base reads: "Given by Florence Lady Bradbrooke to Henry Earl of St. Germans 1908". The plaque on the case is engraved "Tea Caddies which belonged to the 1st Marquess Cornwallis".
Made for Charles, 1st Marquess Cornwallis (1735-1805); after his death, by descent to his heir, Charles, 2nd Earl Cornwallis and last Marquess Cornwallis (1735-1805); after his death, by descent to his daughter, Jane, wife of Richard, 3rd Lord Braybrooke (1783-1858); after her death, by descent to her relative, Florence, wife of Charles, 5th Lord Braybrooke (1823-1902); 1908, given by her to Henry, 5th Earl of St Germans (1835-1911), after his death, by descent to the Trustees of the Earl of St Germans' Heirlooms Settlement; November 25, 1992, sold by the Trustees of the Earl of St Germans' Heirlooms Settlement at Christie's, London, lot 92, where most probably bought by Alan and Simone Hartman, New York, NY; 2001, gift of Alan and Simone Hartman. (Accession date: February 21, 2001)
Gift of Alan and Simone Hartman and Harriet J. Bradbury Fund