Naturalistically modeled with a long tail perched on a high tree stump applied with leafy branches.
Between 1730 and 1736, commissioned by Augustus II (b. 1670 – d. 1733), King of Poland and Elector of Saxony, and his successor, Augustus III (b. 1696 – d. 1763), King of Poland and Elector of Saxony, for the Japanese Palace in Dresden [see note 1]. By 1955, Otto Buel, Lucerne [see note 2]. By 1967, Winston Frederick Churchill Guest (b. 1906 - d. 1982), Palm Beach and Long Island; December 2, 1967, Guest sale, Parke-Bernet, New York, lot 103, to the Antique Porcelain Company, New York; December 5, 1967, sold by the Antique Porcelain Company to Edward M. Pflueger (b. 1905 - d. 1997) and Kiyi Powers Pflueger (b. 1915 - d. 2008), New York; 2006, bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger to the MFA. (Accession Date: April 26, 2006) Notes:  Augustus II (“the Strong”) began building the Japanese Palace in Dresden in 1925 and commissioned more than 35,000 porcelain works from the nearby Meissen porcelain factory to furnish his "porcelain palace." The original collection featured more than 500 large bird and animal figures; among these were 37 animal species and 32 bird species. Augustus II died in 1733 and his son Augustus III took over the project. The Japanese Palace became a museum and library after the death of Augustus III, and parts of the collection were sold and traded in the 18th and 19th centuries.  This peacock was shown as item 56 at the 1955 exhibition at the Kunsthaus, Zürich, by the Keramic-Freunde der Schweiz, "Schönheit des 18 Jahrhunderts," and illustrated in the catalogue; at that time the peacock was the propoerty of the Lucerne art-dealer Otto Buel.
Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection. Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger
German, about 1734