By 1913, Théodore Duret (b. 1838 - d. 1927), Paris [see note 1]. Bruno Cassirer (b. 1872 - d. 1941), Berlin. By 1931, Jakob Goldschmidt (b. 1882 - d. 1955), Berlin; December 22, 1931, transferred by Goldschmidt to the Darmstädter- und Nationalbank (Danatbank) but physically retained by Goldschmidt [see note 2]; April 11, 1932, transferred to August Thyssen Iron and Steel Works but physically retained by Goldschmidt [see note 3]; after 1933, ownership transferred back to Goldschmidt but remained in Berlin; 1941, confiscated by the Finance Ministry of the Nazi regime [see note 4]; September 25, 1941, Goldschmidt auction, Hans W. Lange, Berlin, lot 53, sold for 64,000 RM to Baroness von der Goltz, Wannsee bei Berlin; 1955, restituted to Jakob Goldschmidt, New York; probably sold by Goldschmidt to Justin K. Thannhauser (b. 1892 - d. 1976), New York; sold by Thannhauser to Arthur K. Solomon (b. 1912 - d. 2002), Cambridge, MA; 2004, gift of the Arthur K. Solomon collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 23, 2004) NOTES:  Duret lent the painting to the exhibitions "Französische Kunst des XIX. Jahrhunderts," Galerie Heinemann, Munich, April 1913, no. 178, and "Exposition d'art français du XIXe siècle," Dansk Kunstmuseums Forening, Copenhagen, May 15 - June 30, 1914, no. 214.  The Danat Bank obtained full legal ownership of Goldschmidt's art collection as security against his debts. Goldschmidt retained physical possession of the collection and insured and cared for it. Once his debts were paid off, ownership was to be transferred back to him.  Ownership of the art collection was transferred in 1932, when Thyssen took over 3 million RM of Goldschmidt's debt at the Danatbank (taken over that year by the Dresden Bank). The painting remained in Goldschmidt's home.  Goldschmidt's assets were confiscated by the Finance Ministry and auctioned, with the proceeds going to the Nazi regime.
Arthur K. Solomon Collection