15th century, the high altar of Santo Stefano, Monopoli, Italy; before 1871, removed from the church and taken to Naples [see note 1]. By 1892, with Luigi Dell'Erba, Palazzo Della Rocca, Naples [see note 2]. Probably about 1900/1910, acquired by Eliot Hubbard (b. 1856 – d. 1932) and his wife, Helen Wetherell Faulkner Hubbard (b. 1860 –d. 1937) [see note 2]; by descent to their son, Dr. Eliot Hubbard, Jr. (b. 1893 - d. 1977), Cambridge, MA; 1937, gift of Dr. Eliot Hubbard, Jr. to the MFA [see note 3]. (Accession Date: May 5, 1937) NOTES:  The altarpiece was reproduced in Demetrio Salazaro’s publication Studi sui Monumenti della Italia Meridionale dal IVo al XIIIo secolo, part 1 (Naples, 1871), pl. xxiv and discussed in part 2 (Naples, 1878), pp. 23-24, as having “at one time adorned the high altar” of the church.  Domenico Mora recorded the altarpiece in the possession of Luigi Dell'Erba, Palazzo Della Rocca, Naples, in his "Chartularium del monastero di S. Benedetto di Conservano," vol. 1 (1892), pp. 294-295.  A letter from Dr. Eliot Hubbard, Jr., to W. G. Constable of the MFA (January 1, 1940) suggests that his parents acquired the painting when he was a child.
Gift of Dr. Eliot Hubbard, Jr.
early 15th century
Center panel: 229.0 x 72.0 cm (90 1/8 x 28 3/8 in.); Side panels: 175.0 x 34.0 cm (68 7/8 x 13 3/8 in.) each of six
Medium or Technique
Tempera on panel