Before 1868, a church in Pisa (?) [see note 1]. 1868, Gabrielli, Florence; 1868, sold by Gabrielli to Joseph Spiridon, Paris; May 31, 1929, Spiridon sale, Paul Cassirer and Hugo Helbing, Berlin, lot 46, sold for M 50,000 to Marczell von Nemes (b. 1866 - d. 1930), Budapest and Munich; June 16, 1931, Nemes sale, Frederik Muller, Paul Cassirer and Hugo Helbing, Munich, lot 15, sold for M 9,500, to A. S. Drey, Munich [see note 2]. By 1934, Eugene L. Garbáty (b. 1880 - d. 1966), Schloss Alt-Döbern, Niederlausitz (Germany), New York, and East Norwalk, CT [see note 3]; 1948, sold by Garbáty to the MFA for $11,000. (Accession Date: April 8, 1948) NOTES:  According to information taken from the Frick Art Reference Library photo study collection, this comes "from a church in Pisa, as [by] Fra Filippo Lippi and Machiavelli" (citing the "ms. catalogue of the J. Spiridon collection, 1928," a copy of which has not been located).  In the German periodical "Die Weltkunst," June 21, 1931, p. 2, the Amsterdam dealer Hoogendijk is said to have purchased the painting at the Nemes sale. However, according to correspondence from Monika Tatzkow (November 17, 2000; in the MFA curatorial file) A. S. Drey was the buyer, as documented in Cassirer's records as well as in those kept by the dealer Karl Haberstock, Berlin, who visited the sale that day.  At the time of the painting's acquisition, Eugene Garbáty provided the MFA with a memo dated June, 1934, bearing his signature, regarding comparative works by Zanobi Machiavelli. As he was compiling information on the artist as early as 1934, the painting was probably already in his possession at that time. Mr. Garbáty emigrated to the U.S. in 1939 and lent the painting to the MFA in that year.
Charles Potter Kling Fund