About 1445 until at least 1689, Chapel of St. James (Villani Chapel), Santissima Annunziata, Florence (original commission) [see note 1]. Private collection, France [see note 2]. Private collection, London. 1978 acquired by P. & D. Colnaghi, London; from Colnaghi, London to Colnaghi, New York; 1983, sold by Colnaghi, New York, to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 15, 1983) NOTES:  This was the central panel of an altarpiece commissioned by Jacopo Villani for the Chapel of St. James at SS Annunziata, of which the wings are at the Accademia, Florence, and the Allen Memorial Art Museum, Oberlin College. The altarpiece was still in situ in 1689, when the chapel was restored. When the altarpiece was removed from the church is not known.  Published by Federico Zeri, "Neri di Bicci: Reintegrazione di un dipinto già nella SS. Annunziata di Firenze," Antologia di Belle Arti 4, nos. 15-16 (1980), p. 131 as having been in an old French collection for many years (where it was attributed to Gerolamo di Giovanni da Camerino), a private London collection, and then with Colnaghi.
Charles Potter Kling Fund