Lower left: Ruisdael
Eugène de Beauharnais (b. 1781 - d. 1824), 1st Duke Leuchtenberg, Milan and Munich [see note 1]; by descent within the family to Georg, 5th Duke Leuchtenberg (b. 1872 - d. 1929), St. Petersburg and Seeon Castle, Bavaria, Germany [see note 2]. 1939, with Hans Gronau (b. 1904 - d. 1951), London; 1939, sold by or through Gronau to Arnold Seligmann, Rey and Co., Paris and New York [see note 3]; 1939, sold by Seligmann Rey and Co. to the MFA for $15,000. (Accession Date: December 14, 1939) NOTES:  "Catalogue des Tableaux de la Galerie de son Altesse Royale, Monsieur le Duc de Leuchtenberg à Munich" (Munich, 1825), p. 41. cat. no. 108.  This painting was not included in the Georg von Leuchtenberg sale held at Helbing, Munich, in 1934.  Indicated by correspondence from Gronau to W. G. Constable of the MFA (August 11, 1939). The reverse of the painting's stretcher has a French shipping label bearing Gronau's name and "A[rnold] S[eligmann] Rey."
Ernest Wadsworth Longfellow Fund