Terracotta. Urn-shaped vases on pedestal bases and square plinths. The neck of each vase has incised and relief decoration of reveling putti building a fire. The lower parts of the vases have ram's head handles joined by swags. Wreath ornament encircles the collars and feet of the bases.
December 11, 1780, possibly Le Brun and others sale, Le Brun , Paris, lot 249, to Hamel. April 30, 1857, possibly Roussell sale, Pillet, Paris, lot 201, to Norzy, Paris; March 12-15, 1860, Norzy sale, Paris, lot 2, to Laneuville. By 1881, with Jules (b.1830-d.1870) and Edmond de Goncourt (b.1822-d.1896), Paris; February 22-24, 1897, Edmond de Goncourt sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, lot 236. June 27-28, 1924, Baron Joseph Raphaël Vitta (b.1860-d.1942) sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, lot 71. By 1962, with Wildenstein, Paris; 1989, sold by Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York to the MFA. (Accession Date: February 22, 1989)
Museum purchase with funds by exchange from a Gift of George L. Walton, funds from the sale of Duplicate Coins, Augustine Shurtleff Collection of Coins, and funds by exchange from a Bequest of Edward Jackson Holmes, Gift of Mrs. Alice L. Boardman "William D. Boardman Collection", Anonymous gift in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour, Bequest of Miss Rebecca Salisbury, Gift of Mrs. Charles Goddard Weld, Gift of Charles P. Bodwitch, Bequest of Mrs. Francis Jackson Ward through Mrs. William A. Paine, Gift of Arthur L. Hope, Massachusetts Historical Society, Deposited Boston Athenaeum, Bequest of John Bird Howe, Gift of Miss Caroline F. Anderson, Gift of Horace Packard "Mary Hooper Packard Collection", Bequest of Henry G. Pickering, Gift of Mrs. A. C. Storer, Gift of Mrs. R.S. Threshie, Gift of Dudley Leavitt Pickman, by exchange, and Harriet J. Bradbury Fund