Tile, glazed Hafner ware, initialed HK. Prodigal son after print by Hans Sebald Beham. Latin inscription: Luke XV, 12 Monogram HK, 1563 in upper right panel. Pinkish gray clay; painted blue border, figures largely in blue and yellow, yellow and green ground and trees, architectural background....
Tile, glazed Hafner ware, initialed HK. Prodigal son after print by Hans Sebald Beham. Latin inscription: Luke XV, 12 Monogram HK, 1563 in upper right panel. Pinkish gray clay; painted blue border, figures largely in blue and yellow, yellow and green ground and trees, architectural background. Youth on doorstep at left regards man in front greeting son, retreating figures at right. On back: No 1549 for Count Wilczek, Kreutzenstein.
Count Hans Johann Nepomuk von Wilczek (b. 1837 - d. 1922), Kreuzenstein, Austria [see note 1]. Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 2]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; April 13, 1964, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1965, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 13, 1965). NOTES:  The reverse of the tile is inscribed with his name.  According to an interoffice memorandum from Hanns Swarzenski to Perry Rathbone (January 13, 1965; in the MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the tile in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful. Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, his collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson