About 1853, sold by the artist to William Morris Hunt (b. 1824 - d. 1879), Boston [see note 1]; by inheritance to his widow, Louisa Dumaresq Perkins Hunt (d. 1897) [see note 2]; by inheritance to her children, Elinor Hunt Diederich, Enid Hunt Slater (d. 1928), and Paul Hunt; by inheritance to Paul Hunt's son, William Morris Hunt II, Brookline, MA; 2000, partial gift of William Morris Hunt II to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 24, 2001) NOTES:  See Alexandra R. Murphy, "Jean-François Millet" (Boston, 1984), p. 47, cat. no. 25.  Louisa Dumaresq Perkins Hunt first lent this painting to the MFA in 1890. Following her death, it was lent by her daughter (and the executrix of her estate), Enid Hunt Slater.
Partial gift of William Morris Hunt II