Plaster painted black. Figure in knee breeches & tailed coat stands on right foot, left forward of scroll held in left hand, on square plinth with books at back; marked JEFFERSON at front, DAVID on side. Quill in right hand, arm bent.
By 1929, David David-Weill (b. 1871 - d. 1952), Neuilly-sur-Seine, France [see note 1]; by 1940, sold by David-Weill to Wildenstein and Co., New York [see note 2]. 1949, Rowland Burdon-Muller, Cambridge, MA; 1949, gift of Rowland Burdon-Muller to the MFA. (Accession Date: November 10, 1949) NOTES:  See "Les États-Unis et la France au XVIIIe Siècle" (exh. cat. Hotel Jean Charpentier, Paris, June-July 1929), 61, cat. no. 154 (b).  It was included in the exhibition "French XVIIIth Century Sculpture formerly of the David-Weill Collection" (Wildenstein, New York, April 1940), cat. no. 55.
Gift of Rowland Burdon-Muller