Lower right: Daubigny [...] (probably later addition)
Imported by Seth Morton Vose (b. 1831 - d. 1910), Providence, RI (stock no. 526); sold by Vose to Beriah Wall, Providence, who sold it back to Vose [see note 1]; by 1886, sold by Vose to Walter Richmond, Providence [see note 2]; January 27, 1899, Richmond sale, American Art Galleries, New York, lot 61, to Robert C. Vose, Providence and Boston; 1900, sold by Robert C. Vose to Dr. Henry Clay Angell (b. 1829 - d. 1911), Boston [see note 3]; 1911, by inheritance from Dr. Angell to his widow, Martha Bartlett Angell (b. 1833 - d. 1919), Boston; 1919, gift of Mrs. Henry Clay Angell to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 20, 1919) NOTES:  A note by Robert C. Vose, Jr. (1987) in the curatorial file states that Vose "sold it to Beriah Wall of Providence .... Vose later repurchased it and sold it to Walter Richmond."  According to notes in the curatorial file, Walter Richmond lent the painting to the "Loan Exhibition in Aid of the First Light Infantry" (Providence, 1886), cat. no. 24.  While the painting was in his possession, Dr. Angell cut it down (from about 28 x 40 inches to 19 ¼ x 35 ½ in.) and overpainted areas of the trees and sky.
The Henry C. and Martha B. Angell Collection