Stove tile depicting warrior in garb of the 16th century Swiss papal guard standing in archway with inscription "TRABANT", 2 angel heads in each upper corner. Brown clay.
Inscription in archway "TRABANT".
Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; January 8, 1965, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1983, bequest of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 12, 1983) NOTES:  According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (January 9, 1965; in MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the tile in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful. Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, his collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Bequest of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson