Green glaze. Gothic arch with fleurons and finial (top broken off), framing a concave interior with raised decoration of a fool, bearded and with fool's cap, arms outstretched holding a scroll, in architectural frame with arch supported by twisted pillars and background of raised X's. Scroll...
Green glaze. Gothic arch with fleurons and finial (top broken off), framing a concave interior with raised decoration of a fool, bearded and with fool's cap, arms outstretched holding a scroll, in architectural frame with arch supported by twisted pillars and background of raised X's. Scroll inscribed: W 0 1 55 A (upside down) I l (J)? Lower edge of right side of frame entirely chipped off, large chip on right interior rim, ships in glaze of left rim.
Until 1909, Adalbert von Lanna (b. 1836 - d. 1909), Prague; March 21 - 28, 1911, posthumous Lanna sale, Rudolph Lepke, Berlin, lot 585, to Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; 1948, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; June 2, 1960, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1960, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 8, 1960) NOTES:  In a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (June 8, 1960), Oscar Bondy is said to have acquired this from the Lanna collection. Mr. Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The tile is identifiable in an undated photograph of a room in Bondy's Vienna home (copy in MFA curatorial file). The tile is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 50, no. 867. Also see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), p. 226, where it is listed in a later inventory of Bondy's possessions as well (April 3, 1939; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/3).  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the tile was given back in 1948. For further on the Bondy collection, see Lillie, "Was einmal war" (as above, n. 1), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson