Hafner ware, with St. George in a niche killing the dragon. Blue glaze of background largely missing, other colors white, yellow-brown, and green.
By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; 1948, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Leopold Blumka, New York [see note 3]; sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York [see note 4]; 1961, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 11, 1961) NOTES:  Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The tile is identifiable in an undated photograph of a room in Bondy's Vienna home (copy in MFA curatorial file) and is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 50, no. 860. Also see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), p. 226, where it is listed in a later inventory of Bondy's possessions as well (April 3, 1939; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/3).  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the tile was given back in 1948. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Lillie, "Was einmal war" (as above, n. 1), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth Bondy.  In a letter from Perry T. Rathbone of the MFA to R. Thornton Wilson (February 17, 1961; in MFA curatorial file), the author recalls seeing the tile "at the Blumka's". In a letter from Richard H. Randall of the MFA to Alfons Groneman (March 4, 1963; in MFA curatorial file), this object is said to have been purchased from Blumka by Mr. Wilson.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson