Seated female figure in classical drapery. Bronze, hollow. Feet crossed, legs stretched slightly sidewise, right hand grips wood pedestal, rectangular with concave sides, left hand at breast.
By 1908, John Postle Heseltine (b. 1843 - d. 1929), London [see note 1]; 1922, possibly sold by Heseltine to Alfred Spero, London [see note 2]. 1936, Bruno Kern, Vienna [see note 3]. 1958, Leopold Blumka, New York; 1958, gift of Leopold Blumka to the MFA. (Accession Date: February 13, 1958) NOTES:  See Wilhelm von Bode, Italian Bronze Statuettes of the Renaissance, ed. and revised by James David Draper (New York: M. A. S. De Reinis, 1980; originally published 1908), p. 100, no. CXXXVI/1.  In 1922, Heseltine sold many of his Italian Renaissance bronzes to Alfred Spero. See W. G. C[onstable], "The Heseltine Collection of Bronzes and Majolica," Burlington Magazine 41, no. 235 (November, 1922), p. 251 and Mrs. Gordon-Stables, "A Famous Array of Bronzes," International Studio 66, no. 310 (March 1923), pp. 492-495. It is not known whether this sculpture was among the bronzes sold.  According to Blumka, this bronze had belonged to Kern, and it is probably identical to the statuette he lent to "III. Ausstellung: Kleinkunst der italienischen Frührenaissance" (Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, June-July, 1936), cat. no. 47.
Gift of Leopold Blumka, in memory of Dr. Georg Swarzenski