Each sauceboat is in the form of a shell with fluted rim and spiraling ribs that are alternately plain or modeled with shells against a coral ground. It is cast in two halves and seamed in the center. The panels of rockwork, coral and shells were cast separately and pinned to the body of the...
Each sauceboat is in the form of a shell with fluted rim and spiraling ribs that are alternately plain or modeled with shells against a coral ground. It is cast in two halves and seamed in the center. The panels of rockwork, coral and shells were cast separately and pinned to the body of the boat before soldering. The cast double-scroll handle is surmounted by a serpent. The boat rests on a cast foot in the form of a shell, encrusted with coral and smaller shells. The surface of all the sauceboats is compromised by severe polishing and wear, and the shell foot on many has been repaired. Each oblong stand has a broad fluted rim filled with alternating panels of finely modeled and chased shells against a coral ground and plain panels. The stand is formed from sheet and the coral panels were cast separately and pinned to the rim before soldering. The ends of the stand are chased with an abstracted shell form. The ladles have heavy shell-shaped bowls and asymetrically curving handles that terminate in a scroll. They are cast in two pieces, joined at the rim of the bowl. The surface of each ladle is heavily worn.
ARMORIALS:engraved on spout, the arms of Thomas Watson(1693-1750) impaling the arms of his wife, Mary, daughter of Earl of Winchelsea and Nottingham; Earl's coronet; motto of Order of Bath "Tria Juncta In Uno"
Thomas Watson of Wentworth Woodhouse, by descent through the family to the Rt. Hon. the Earl Fitzwilliam of Wentworth Woodhouse, sold Christie's, London, June 9, 1948, lot 81 or 82; The Jessie and Sigmund Katz collection, Gift of Mrs. S. J. Katz to the MFA. (Accession Date: December 28, 1971)
Jessie and Sigmund Katz Collection
English (London), 1746–47
- Marked by Nicholas Sprimont (born in Liege, France, active in London), 1716–1771