Until 1848, Ludwig Schwanthaler (b. 1802 - d. 1848), Munich; 1848, by descent to his nephew, Rudolph Schwanthaler; September 22-24, 1879, Ludwig Schwanthaler collection sale, Morillon, Munich, lot 76 [see note 1]. 1907, purchased on the art market, Munich, by Edward W. Forbes; 1907, gift of Edward W. Forbes to the MFA. (Accession Date: August 8, 1907) NOTES:  On the provenance of this panel see Jeanne Peipers, "Le peintre du maître-autel de Lautenbach, l'atelier de Durer et l'art du Rhin Supérieur" (Frankfurt, 1996), pp. 321-325. It was the reverse of the left wing of a now dismantled altarpiece. The reverse of the right wing, depicting Saints Dorothy, Apollonia, and Agatha, was also owned by Ludwig Schwanthaler and was lot 77 in the auction of 1879. It was offered for sale from the collection of Karl, Count of Maldeghem, by Christie's, Amsterdam, March 24, 1999, lot 107.
Gift of Edward Waldo Forbes