1795, Antonio Cavallucci (?), Rome [see note 1]. By 1968, Andrew S. Ciechanowiechi, Rome; 1968, given by Ciechanowiechi to Anthony M. Clark, London [see note 2]; July 6, 1978, Clark sale, Christie's, London, lot 15, to the MFA [see note 3]. (Accession Date: January 10, 1979) NOTES:  notes in curatorial file indicate that this painting was possibly in the artist's studio at his death and may be mentioned in his inventory, folio 648, no. 29.  according to excerpt from Athony Clark's notebooks in curatorial file, Ciechanowiechi gave this painting to Clark in 1968.  according to letter of August 14, 1978 from Michael Simpson of Somerville & Simpson Ltd to John Walsh of the MFA in curatorial file, Somerville & Simpson Ltd, London, served as an intermediary or agent for this sale.
Seth K. Sweetser Fund