About 1806, commissioned from the artist by Robert Hay (d. 1807), Drummelzier, Borders, Scotland, and Whittinghame, Lothian, Scotland; 1807, after his death, by inheritance within the Hay family; by 1883, by inheritance to Mr. W. J. Hay, grandson of Robert Hay. By 1923, Sir William H. Raeburn [see note 1]; January 26, 1923, sold anonymously by Sir William H. Raeburn at Christie's, London, lot 95, and bought by the D. Croal Thomson, dealer, Barbizon House, London, England; December 1923, sold by D. Croal Thomson, Barbizon House, no. 37, and bought by Howard Young Galleries, Inc., New York and London; 1929, sold by Howard Young Galleries to Mrs. William Arthur Gallup, Boston, MA; 1929, gift of Mrs. William Arthur Gallup to the MFA. (Accession Date: April 4, 1929) NOTES:  The picture was exhibited by Mr. W. J. Hay, at the "Century of Loan Exhibition 1813-1913,"(see exhibition catalogue, Algernon Graves, London, 1914).
Gift of Mrs. William Arthur Gallup