By about 1911, Otto H. Kahn, Mannheim, Germany, and New York (b. 1897 - d. 1934) [see note 1]; after his death, to his estate; 1961, sold from the Kahn estate to William Oelschlager [see note 2]; 1961, sold by Oelschlager to Maxim Karolik (d. 1963), Newport, RI, and Boston [see note 3]; 1964, bequest of Karolik. (Accession date: April 8, 1964) NOTES:  Otto H. Kahn emigrated to the United States in 1893. He was a banker and patron of the arts.  according to a letter of April 20, 1964 from Oelschlager to Sarah Bullock of the MFA in curatorial file. Oelschlager states that when he purchased the painting from Kahn's "gentlemens estate" in 1961, the painting had already been in Kahn's collection for fifty years. In a letter of April 29, 1961 from Oelschlager to Maxim Karolik (who would eventually bequeath the work to the MFA), also in curatorial file, Oelschlager labels the painting a "virgin" picture, since he believed it to have been in the hands of one owner (Kahn) for at least half a century.  according to letter of April 29, 1961 cited above.
Bequest of Maxim Karolik
64.1 x 76.2 cm (25 1/4 x 30 in.)
Medium or Technique
Oil on canvas