Possibly in the late 18th century, in the Amory family collection, Boston, MA [see note 1]; by 1921, probably by descent to Martha C. Codman (Mrs. Maxim Karolik) Newport, RI and Boston, MA [see note 2]; 1944, sold by Mr. and Mrs. Maxim Karolik and bought by the MFA through the Charles Hitchcock Tyler Residuary Fund for $15000. (Accession date: March 9, 1944) NOTES:  See curatorial recommendation to the director, March 9, 1944, in MFA curatorial file.  See Whitehill, "Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, A Centennial History," Volume Two, 1970, p. 466, citing a letter from Mr. Karolik stating that Mrs. Karolik's inheritances came from the Amory, Codman, Derby and Pickman families. Martha C. Codman's mother was Mrs. John Amory Codman. From May 25, 1921 until October 5, 1929, this object was on loan to the MFA from Martha C. Codman.
Charles Hitchcock Tyler Residuary Fund