Lower left: Const. Netscher / 1711
Francis Shaw (b. 1855 - d. 1935), Wayland, MA [see note 1]. Joseph Warren (b. about 1877 - d. by 1942), Brookline, MA [see note 2]; to his son, Joseph Warren, Jr. (b. about 1907 - d. by 1958), Boston; by inheritance to his siblings, Howland Warren, Wahunt, MA, Richard Warren, Dedham, MA, and Mary W. Murphy, New York; 1961, gift of Howland Warren, Richard Warren, and Mary W. Murphy to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 8, 1961) NOTES:  According to labels on the reverse of the painting's stretcher and frame. The reverse of the canvas bears a stamp indicating that the painting was restored at the Copley Gallery, Boston, in 1922, though it does not state who the owner was at that time.  The painting was first lent to the MFA from the estate of Joseph Warren in 1942. It was attributed at that time to an unknown artist of the Flemish school.
Gift of Howland Warren, Richard Warren, and Mary W. Murphy