By 1800, Teodoro Lechi (b. 1778 - d. 1866), Brescia; 1802, sold by Lechi to Richard Vickris Pryor (d. 1805), Blaire's Castle, near Bristol (painting probably remained in Italy) [see note 1]. Alborghetti collection, Bergamo; sold by Alborghetti family to Henry Doetsch (d. by 1895), London [see note 2]; June 22-25, 1895, posthumous Doetsch sale, Christie's, London, lot 63, to Colnaghi and Murray (joint account) [see note 3]; 1895, sold by Colnaghi to Bernard Berenson for the MFA for $3079. (Accession Date: December 1, 1895) NOTES:  This is the address given on the sale contract. No such castle now exists; perhaps Blaise Castle was intended. Pryor did not take the paintings back to England. He may have sold some in Rome in 1803; others remained in Milan with Francesco Ciceri, who managed the 1802 sale, and were dispersed after his death in 1834. See Nicholas Penny, The Sixteenth Century Italian Paintings, vol. 1, Paintings From Bergamo, Brescia and Cremona, National Gallery Catalogues series (London: National Gallery Company, 2004), pp. 197, 386-387.  According to the catalogue of the Doetsch sale ("Catalogue of the Highly Important Collection of Pictures by Old Masters of Henry Doetsch, Esq.," Christie, Manson, and Woods, London, June 22-25, 1895, p. 18, lot 63).  Sold as "Portraits of Count Alborghetti of Bergamo and his Son." Information about the buyers was provided by the Getty Provenance Index.
Museum purchase with funds donated by Mrs. Turner Sargent (Amelia J. Holmes)—Turner Sargent Fund