With border of flowers in pebbly blue glaze, scalloped inner edge. Center painted by hausmaler with Crucifixion in yellow and browns.
Jacques Muhsam (b. 1857 - d. 1930), Berlin [see note 1]. By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 2]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; 1948, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 3]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 4]; March 20, 1962, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1963, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 9, 1963) NOTES:  According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (March 23, 1962; in MFA curatorial file).  Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The plate is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 13, no. 225.  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 2), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the plate was given back in 1948. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson