Between 1751 and 1762, Frederick Calvert, 6th Lord Baltimore (b. 1732 - d. 1771), Woodcote Park, Epsom, Surrey (original commission) [see note 1]; 1768, sold by Lord Baltimore to Thomas Monk; 1770, sold by Monk to George Nelson; 1777, sold by Nelson to Arthur Cuthbert (b. 1734? - d. 1787); 1788, sold by Cuthbert's trustees to Lewis de Teissier, created Baron de Tessier in 1819; by descent to his son, James, Baron de Teissier; 1856, sold by Teissier's trustees to Robert Brooks (d. 1882); by descent to his son, Herbert Brooks; 1913, sold by Brooks to the Royal Automobile Club; interior decorations removed. 1914, H. G. Lancaster and Co., London [see note 2]. 1916, C. J. Charles, London and New York [see note 3]; about 1920, probably sold or transferred from Charles to Robersons, Ltd., London [see note 4]; 1927, sold by Robersons to Eben Howard Gay; 1927, gift of Eben Howard Gay to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 8, 1927) NOTES:  The room was commissioned as part of an architectural addition to Woodcote Park and remained in situ until it was sold to the Royal Automobile Club. The provenance given here (to 1913) is that of Woodcote Park.  See "The Woodcote Park Collection," Connoisseur 38 (1914), pp. 194-195 and 208a-d.  See "The Woodcote Park Collection," Country Life, March 4, 1916, p. 7.  According to correspondence from John Harris (June 1, 2005), it may have been planned for C. J. Charles, run by Charles Duveen, to join Robersons about 1920.
Gift of Eben Howard Gay