Large tusk with three bands of carved ornament at large end, two of them cut on a raised band; at small end are two similar raised bands and two bands of flat cutting.
Graf von Walderdorff, Hesse, Germany [see note 1]. 1928, with J. Rosenbaum, Frankfurt [see note 2]. Baron Maximilian von Goldschmidt-Rothschild (b. 1843 - d. 1940), Frankfurt [see note 3]; 1950, sold by the estate of Goldschmidt-Rothschild to Rosenberg and Stiebel, New York; 1950, sold by Rosenberg and Stiebel to the MFA for $3500. (Accession Date: November 9, 1950) NOTES:  Hanns Swarzenski, "Two Oliphants in the Museum," MFA Bulletin 60, no. 320 (1962): p. 45 and Ernst Kühnel, Die Islamischen Elfenbeinskulpturen, VIII - XIII Jahrhundert (Berlin, 1971), p. 52, cat. no. 52.  Otto von Falke, "Elfenbeinhörner. II. Byzanz," Pantheon 5 (1930): p. 42.  In November 1938 Nazi authorities forced Maximilian von Goldschmidt-Rothschild to sell his art collection to the city of Frankfurt. Upon his death in 1940, the objects were transferred to and accessioned by various city museums. After the war, his heirs succeeded in legally voiding the 1938 sale and recuperating the collection, which was sent to the United States. See "Important French Furniture & Objets d'Art," Goldschmidt-Rothschild estate sale, part one, Parke-Bernet, New York, March 10-11, 1950, prefatory note.
Frederick Brown Fund and H. E. Bolles Fund