Elephant tusk carved in sharp relief with six wide bands depicting graphic hunting scenes of wolves attacking a deer, an eagle clutching a rabbit in its talons, and lions attacking a bull, alternating with narrow bands of zigzag ornament. Later iron chain.
About 1750, acquired by Anselm Kasimir, Graf zu Eltz [see note 1]; until 1957, by descent within the family to Jakob Graf zu Eltz, Eltville, Germany; 1957, sold by Graf zu Eltz, through Count Ernst Otto von Solms-Laubach (b. 1890 - d. 1977), Frankfurt, to the MFA for $25,000. (Accession Date: October 9, 1957). NOTES:  The provenance of the oliphant was established with the generous assistance of Dr. Karl Graf zu Eltz.
Maria Antoinette Evans Fund