Gilded bronze. Moustachioed open mouth, stylized scrolls at sides, stippled surface.
Dr. Albert Figdor (b. 1843 - d. 1927), Vienna. 1938, Julius Böhler, Munich; March, 1938, sold for RM 350 by Böhler to Eugene L. Garbáty (b. 1880 - d. 1966), Berlin, New York, and East Norwalk, CT [see note 1]; 1955, sold by Garbáty to the MFA for $200. (Accession Date: June 9, 1955) NOTES:  Richard Winkler, "Jüdische Kunstsammler als Kunden der Kunsthandlung Julius Böhler in München, 1890-1938," in Kulturgutverluste, Provenienzforschung, Restitution (Munich and Berlin, 2007), p. 94. Garbáty emigrated from Berlin to New York between 1938 and 1939, bringing much of his art collection with him.
Otis Norcross Fund