A large rectangular block of limestone forming the lintel of a mantelpiece. Carved in bas-relief with two stylized dogs barking at two stylized birds at center. See also 1986.5-6, a pair of andirons.
1928, commissioned by Jacques Doucet (b.1853 – d.1929) for the Cabinet de l'Orient, in his residence in Neuilly, France; 1929, at Doucet's death, presumably by inheritance to his wife, Jeanne Roger Doucet, Neuilly. Acquired from a private collection by Brame et Lorenceau, Paris [see note 1]; 1986, sold by Brame et Lorenceau to the MFA [see note 1]. (Accession Date: January 22, 1986) Notes:  According to information provided by Brame et Lorenceau to the MFA (December 6, 2002).
Samuel Putnam Avery Fund, Gift of William Sturgis Bigelow, Frederick Brown Fund, Bequest of Mrs. Arthur Croft—The Gardner Brewer Collection, Otis Norcross Fund, Gift of Mrs. Winthrop Sargent, Bequest of G. B. Upton, and Theodora Wilbour Fund in Memory of Zoë Wilbour, by exchange, and Gift of Charlotte F. and Irving W. Rabb
© Estate of Jacques Lipchitz, courtesy, Marlborough Gallery, New York.