Model in wax for statue.
By 1924, Elia Volpi (b. 1858 - d. 1938), Florence [see note 1]; March 31 - April 2, 1927, Volpi sale, American Art Galleries, New York, not in catalogue, not sold [see note 2]; 1929, sold by Volpi to Wilhelm von Bode for the MFA. (Accession Date: December 5, 1929) NOTES:  See letter from Philip Gentner in Florence to Charles Henry Hawes of the MFA (September 25, 1924), which discusses the object along with others then in Volpi's possession, and a letter from Wilhelm von Bode to Elia Volpi (April 3, 1925) which discusses the object, stating specifically that it was in Volpi's possession at that time.  See Roberta Ferrazza, "Palazzo Davanzati e le collezioni di Elia Volpi" (Florence, 1994), pp. 130, 142, n. 177.
Maria Antoinette Evans Fund and Francis Bartlett Donation, by exchange