Glazed Hafner ware. Variegated brown glaze on bulbous body with slightly splayed foot has vertical bands of yellow lozenges on green. Inverted tear-drop recess at front, edged in cream, has free standing crucifix. Cylindrical neck with vertical blue and cream bands between three lions' masks....
Glazed Hafner ware. Variegated brown glaze on bulbous body with slightly splayed foot has vertical bands of yellow lozenges on green. Inverted tear-drop recess at front, edged in cream, has free standing crucifix. Cylindrical neck with vertical blue and cream bands between three lions' masks. Short scroll handle.
By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, probably seized by Nazi forces; 1948, probably restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; December 3, 1960, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: February 14, 1962) NOTES:  According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (December 3, 1960; in MFA curatorial file). Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. This jug may be identical to that included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938); Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 5, no. 81. This object is described as having a tin lid and measuring 30 cm. The MFA object does not have a lid and it measures about 25 cm. However, as similar jugs do have metal lids, the MFA example might have had one as well, which would have added about 5 cm. to its height. For comparative material, see Alfred Walcher-Molthein, "Hafnergeschirre der Renaissance," Belvedere, 1925, p. 73, no. 7, fig. 5 (also from the Bondy collection, 23.5 cm).  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the jug was given back in 1948. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth Bondy.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson