The reddish brown pottery jug has a bulbous body, a tall neck, and a C-shaped handle. The broad silver-gilt mount on the neck is engraved with interlacing strapwork enclosing foliage. It is joined to the handle by a hinged mount supporting a box hinge. The domed cover has a flat rim and is...
The reddish brown pottery jug has a bulbous body, a tall neck, and a C-shaped handle. The broad silver-gilt mount on the neck is engraved with interlacing strapwork enclosing foliage. It is joined to the handle by a hinged mount supporting a box hinge. The domed cover has a flat rim and is embossed in high relief with clusters of fruit alternating with lions' masks. The baluster finial rests on a disk with engraved rays. The thumbpiece is in the form of two oak branches with acorn terminals. The molded foot rim is stamped with ovolo and beaded decoration. The pottery jug is wheel thrown from a light colored gray stoneware and salt glazed. The silver foot rim is composed of three molded and stamped wires wit a serrate bezel attachment. The edge of the mount on the top of the handle is broken off in a straight line; it was probably originally finished with a cut edge in the shape of an acanthus leaf. The neck rim and box hinge arc formed and engraved; the thumbpiece is cast. The cover is raised, embossed, and chased, with a molded wire supporting the engraved rayed disk and cast finial. There are two small areas of trial engraving; one section of hit-and-miss decoration on the bands of strapwork on the collar, and an acanthus leaf sketched on the inside of the hinge below the thumbpiece.
On edge of neck, on cover, and on foot rim, date letter M; lion passant; leopard's head crowned; maker's mark WC above a grasshopper (Jackson, 1921, p. 103; rev. ed. 1989, p. 95).
J. Toovey, Esq. By 1862 (?), by descent to Charles James Toovey, Esq., London. February 9, 1926, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, lot 117, sold; Until 1949, with Spink & Son, Canada; 1949, sold by Spink & Son to the MFA for $675. (Accession Date: September 15, 1949)
Theodora Wilbour Fund in memory of Charlotte Beebe Wilbour
English (London), 1569–70
- Marked by WC above a grasshopper, active in London, about 1567–1577