About 1535/1540, upper meeting hall of the confraternity of Santa Maria de Dom, church of SS Ippolito e Cassiano, Brescia, Italy (original commission) [see note 1]; 1897, frescoes removed and conserved by Giuseppe Steffanoni, Bergamo [see note 2]; 1898, still with Steffanoni. 1929, Antonio Carrer, Venice; 1929, sold by Carrer, through Piero Tozzi, to the Brummer Gallery, New York (stock no. P5843); May 31, 1929, sold by Brummer to William Randolph Hearst (b. 1863 - d. 1951), New York; August 13, 1941, sold by Hearst to the Brummer Gallery (stock no. N5204); 1945, sold by Brummer to the MFA for $15,000 [see note 3]. (Accession Date: January 11, 1945) NOTES:  This is one in a group of frescoes (MFA accession nos. 45.5 - 45.8, 45.768) that made up part of a cycle of the Passion of Christ in this room. In 1532, the church had been ceded to the confraternity; they, in turn, commissioned the frescoes.  The confraternity was suppressed in 1797, at which time the building was acquired by the city and the upper meeting hall was used as a school. During the second half of the nineteenth century, some of the frescoes were removed; these are today at the church of Santa Maria delle Consolazioni, Brescia, and the Svépmüvészeti Muzeum, Budapest. In 1897, the building was sold to the Società Telefonica di Brescia, the Brescia telephone company. Eleven remaining frescoes were taken down and sent to Bergamo for conservation. In 1898, six of these were selected by the Pinacoteca Tosio e Martinengo. The remaining five must be those at the MFA. Other scenes probably completed the cycle, but have been lost or destroyed. For more information, see Francesco de Leonardis, in Paolo da Caylina il Giovane, ed. Pier Virgilio Begni Redona (Brescia, 2003), cat. no. 50, pp. 165-174.  MFA accession numbers 45.5 - 45.8 were purchased together for $15,000.
Charles Potter Kling Fund