Lower left: TCA (monogram)
By the early 1940s, anonymous dealer, Paris; sold by anonymous dealer to the Melander Shakespeare Society, Santa Barbara, Calif. [see note 1]; consigned by Melander Shakespeare Society to Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York; 1949, sold by Parke-Bernet at Plaza Auction Room, New York, and bought by Julius H. Weitzner, London and New York [see note 2]; 1949, sold by Weitzner to the MFA for $350. (Accession Date: December 8, 1949) Notes  According to a letter of February 25, 1950 from Rudolph Holzapfel of the Melander Shakespeare Society to W. G. Constable of the MFA in curatorial file, this work was purchased in Paris by the Society "eight to ten years ago" by a dealer who did not supply any data about the painting.  According to a letter of January 5, 1950, from Weitzner to W. G. Constable in curatorial file.
Seth K. Sweetser Fund