Polychromed wood: Martyrdom of St. Sebastian. Shaped top, incurved panel molded base. Painting on wings: St. Nicholas and St. Margaret; inside: archers point arrows at relief statuette of St. Sebastian in Renaissance architectural frame with shields and putto above. Made Sebastian Molitar, Abbot...
Polychromed wood: Martyrdom of St. Sebastian. Shaped top, incurved panel molded base. Painting on wings: St. Nicholas and St. Margaret; inside: archers point arrows at relief statuette of St. Sebastian in Renaissance architectural frame with shields and putto above. Made Sebastian Molitar, Abbot of Zwifalten (Wurtemburg).
Captain Geiger, Neu-Ulm, Germany. Albert Figdor (b. 1843 - d. 1927), Vienna; September 29, 1930, posthumous Figdor sale, Paul Cassirer, Berlin, lot 212, sold for M 4,100 to Benedikt, Vienna. Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna; 1938, seized by Nazi forces [see note 1]; subsequently taken, through Kremsmünster, Austria, to Alt Aussee [see note 2]; October 15, 1945, recovered by Allied forces and taken to the Munich Central Collecting Point (no. 9552) [see note 3]; May 11, 1948, released to the United States Forces in Austria and restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 4]; 1949, sold by Blumka to the MFA for $1800. (Accession Date: February 10, 1949) NOTES:  With the Anschluss, or incorporation of Austria into Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Jewish residents like businessman Oscar Bondy were seized by Nazi forces. This object was listed in the 1939 Nazi inventory of Oscar Bondy's collection (BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1, no. 898). Also see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), p. 227.  Many works of art looted by the Nazis were moved to the abandoned salt mines of Alt Aussee in Austria, where they would be safe from wartime bombing. This triptych first passed through the depot at the monastery of Kremsmünster, where it was numbered K1676. This number can also be found on its reverse.  Allied troops established collecting points where looted works of art could be identified for eventual restitution to their rightful owners. This triptych came to the Munich Central Collecting Point in 1945 from Alt Aussee shipment 4772 and was numbered 9552, which is recorded on the reverse. The Munich Central Collecting Point inventory card is held by the National Archives and Records Administration, College Park, Maryland (Property Card 9552; National Archives Record Group 260, Box 501; and see National Archives Record Group 260, Entry USACA-USFA; File Rep & Rest., Box 158).  Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Lillie, 2003 (as above, n. 1), pp. 216-245.
John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund