About 1496/1500, commissioned by Peter van Os (b. before 1467), 's Hertogenbosch [see note 1]. 1888, F. W. Harris, Gracechurch Street, London [see note 2]; July 21, 1888, anonymous (Harris and others) sale, Christie, Manson and Woods, London, lot 78, to Charles Holden-White, London [see note 3]; November 26, 1948, Holden-White estate sale, Christie's, London, lot 36, to Gerald Kerin, London, for £682.10. By 1951, Arthur Kauffmann, London; 1956, gift of Kauffmann to the MFA. (Accession Date: March 8, 1956) NOTES:  This was the wing of a triptych; for related panels see MFA object nos. 53.2027, 56.171.1a-b, and 56.172. For a discussion of the patronage and iconography, see G. C. M. van Duick, "Peter van Os ontmaskerd," De Brabantse Leeuw 47, no. 2 (1998): 116-124.  Harris consigned the painting to Christie's in 1888, and may have been a dealer. An old, now largely illegible label on the reverse of the panel also bears his name and an address, possibly Combe House or Canute House.  Sold as a work by the Early Flemish school, described as "A triptych, with Ecce Homo in the centre, and saints and donors on the wings." Notes in the curatorial file suggest that Harris was the seller at this auction, but this has not been confirmed.
Gift of Arthur Kauffmann