Bronze. Left eye closed, rough texture, indentation at hair-line. Bar holds it above black marble base. Signed at edge below right ear, caster's seal at back edge.
March 12, 1926, sold by A. A. Hébrard et Cie, Paris, to Quincy Adams Shaw McKean (b. 1891 - d. 1971), Boston [see note 1]; by descent to his wife, Margarett Williams Sargent McKean (b. 1892 - d. 1978), Boston; 1979, bequest of Margarett Williams Sargent McKean to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 17, 1979) NOTES:  According to notes, in which his name is given as "M. Shaw Mac Keen", from the Hébrard archives, published in Anne Pingeot's Degas Sculptures (Paris: Imprimerie Nationale Éditions/Reunion des musées nationaux, 1991). In 1918 Hébrard signed a contract with the heirs of Edgar Degas to produce and sell bronze castings of the artist's sculptures.
Bequest of Margarett Sargent McKean