Hafner ware stove tile. Landsknecht in orange, brown, and blue, wearing puffed and slashed costume, holding a halberd. Half a corner tile with partial corner column impressed with stylized plant ornament.
By 1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; 1938, seized by Nazi forces; 1948, restituted to Elisabeth (Mrs. Oscar) Bondy, New York [see note 2]; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; January 4, 1961, sold by Blumka Gallery to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York [see note 4]; 1961, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 11, 1961) NOTES:  Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art. The tile is identifiable in an undated photograph of a room in Bondy's Vienna home (copy in MFA curatorial file) and is included in a Nazi-generated inventory of his collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), p. 50, no. 863. Also see Sophie Lillie, "Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens" (Vienna, 2003), p. 226, where it is listed in a later inventory of Bondy's possessions as well (April 3, 1939; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/3).  In 1938, when Germany occupied Austria, Oscar Bondy's collection was systematically looted by the Nazis. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market. In a copy of the 1938 inventory (mentioned above, n. 1), which was used by the Allied forces responsible for restituting looted artwork, it is noted that the tile was given back in 1948. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Lillie, "Was einmal war" (as above, n. 1), pp. 216-245.  Blumka Gallery sold many of the objects restituted to German and Austrian emigrés living in the United States, including Elisabeth Bondy. In a letter from Richard H. Randall of the MFA to R. Thornton Wilson (April 28, 1960; in MFA curatorial file), the author mentions seeing the tile at Blumka Gallery, in anticipation of purchasing it.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson